Friday, February 3, 2012

How To Sew Straight Lines

Can you sew straight lines without marking the fabric?  Yep and here is how.
I was making my own quilted fabric for a pillow and didn't want to mark the fabric with a pencil or chalk.  The fabric was white and I was afraid the marking wouldn't wash out!  So here is what I did.  I wanted to quilt a diamond pattern so I laid my rotary cutting ruler diagonally on my quilt sandwich.  Using the edge of the ruler as a sraight edge and running my walking foot right up against the ruler,  I sewed the first line at a 45 degree angle (the ruler has a line for that).  Next I moved the ruler over and placed the one inch line on top of the stitched line and stitched away.  I repeated this step all the way across the sandwich.  Next I turned the fabric 90 degree,. lined up the 45 degree line along the edge of the fabric and using the ruler as a guide stitched all the way across the fabric.  Keep moving the ruler, same as before, until the fabric is completely quilted,

This went so much faster than marking and THEN sewing and I think the lines came out straighter too!  I will be doing it this way from now on.Diana

8 comments:

  1. Thank you...I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! I have actually avoided sewing some things because I was afraid I couldn't make my stitch lines straight enough and it might have been too obvious on the particular piece. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how do you keep the ruler from slipping out of place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, how do you keep the ruler from slipping out of place?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the first time i visit your site but i will be one of your permanent visitors because you provide good topics and ideas, i hope you see my blog at International Decor

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would spray it with basting spray and then clean it off with alcohol later. Great idea?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Basting spray, that's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete